The capirotada is a very common dessert in several states of our country and each one has a slightly different version in its preparation. And it is that it is a simple recipe to make and that takes advantage of some ingredients that could be discarded because they are hard, such as bread or tortillas.
It is very common for its consumption to increase during Lent, since some of its ingredients refer to the Catholic religion, but in some homes the tradition covers a large part of the year.
Within its elaboration, as we already mentioned, each family prepares it in different ways, and the state of the Republic where it is made also has a lot to do with it. For example, in some regions they use Manchego cheese, Chihuahua or aged cheese. It also applies to the fruits that accompany it, depending on the state, are the fruits that are used: guava in Sinaloa, dried fruits in Nayarit and biznaga in Sonora.
Due to these different forms of preparation, it will be very common that when you search for the recipe you find very varied options, but we will give you a more common and very delicious preparation. Let's cook!
- 4 bolillos from the previous day
- ½ small stick of butter
- 100 grams of Don Zabor walnuts
- 2 cones of Don Zabor piloncillo
- 100 grams of Don Zabor raisins
- 100 grams peeled peanuts
- 100 grams cotija cheese
- 1 orange to grate the peel
- 2 sticks of Don Zabor cinnamon
- 3 nails
- 4 cups of water
- Prepare the bolillos from the day before and slice them into small pieces. Spread butter on each of them and put them in the oven for 15 minutes at 150 ° C. Check them every 5 minutes, if they brown sooner, they'll be done.
- Now it's time to heat the 4 cups of water in a saucepan, add the piloncillo, the 3 cloves and the cinnamon sticks. You will have to stir it constantly and you will notice that it is ready when its consistency is honey-like. Power off, remove and save.
- In a container that you can put in the oven, you will prepare several layers. First you grease the container with butter and put a bed of bread, bathe it with the mixture we made with the brown sugar, then add peanuts, raisins and walnuts.
- When you're done with the bread slices, top with the final layer of the piloncillo-cinnamon mixture, walnuts, peanuts, and raisins. And then the grated cheese.
- Make sure that the bread is well soaked in each layer, you can add what is left of the piloncillo honey at this time.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and put the container in for approximately 15-20 minutes. And ready!
How was it for you? If you don't have the option of preparing it in the oven, you can also cook it, you just have to change a few steps, such as to toast the bread, you can do it on a griddle. And also, when you finish making the layers, let it rest for a few minutes and you can serve it directly after adding all the piloncillo honey.
That's how simple and fast you can prepare this delicious Mexican dessert, write down the ingredients and on your next visit to the supermarket don't forget to look for the Don Zabor products .
Prepare a delicious coffee and enjoy this delicious recipe!