On this occasion, we want to show our love for one of our products in particular: the peanut. We bring you a recipe that you probably did not expect and that is really super easy to make, peanut milk!
Not only is it a very easy ingredient , it is also cheap, very nutritious and the unique flavor of this recipe is to suck your fingers. It also goes very well in everyday smoothies and has a lot of protein! And if that wasn't enough, it will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Benefits of non-dairy milk
Did you know that the environmental impact of vegetable milks is considerably less than that of cow's milk? This is one of the many benefits of consuming alternatives to dairy products. We share some more benefits:
- They are rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Most are low in fat.
- Do not contain cholesterol.
- They have a healthy combination of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
- Perfect for people with a slow digestive system.
- They have an excellent amount of protein.
- Contain up to twice as much magnesium and vitamins as cow's milk.
We could go on with the list, but we can leave it at that for now; The truth is that these milks, which are increasingly present, are an excellent source for our daily diet and are also friendly to the planet.
How to prepare peanut milk
Now yes, let's go straight to the recipe!
- 1 liter of water
- 1 cup of peanuts without shell and without skin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons of sugar or 1 tablespoon of agave syrup
- In the container where you placed the peanuts, pour water until they are completely covered.
- Let the peanuts soak overnight (or at least 6 hours).
- In the morning, drain and add half a liter of water.
- Blend for 1 minute or until no chunks of peanut are visible.
- Add the rest of the water and blend for another minute.
- Strain the mixture through a fine strainer twice.
Add the vanilla and sugar or honey for about 15 seconds more and it's readyto be used!
- Pour the mixture into a container, preferably glass, and refrigerate.
- You can avoid using the vanilla and sweetener, although we recommend these as they give the milk a unique flavor.
- To strain the mixture, we suggest using a sky blanket, since it is easier to remove the bagasse by straining only once.
- If you want other options, you can do this same procedure with almonds, oats, seeds or walnuts
- You can also prepare your milk however you like, adding spices like cinnamon or light sweeteners.
- You can store milk in a plastic container, although some contain toxic ingredients, so using glass containers is always a better option.
- This milk is great if you exercise of any kind as it gives you a lot of energy.
- Our top suggestions for using it are: in smoothies (with banana it tastes delicious, and with chocolate, not to mention), to cook oatmeal and to accompany cereal.
If you're looking to change your lifestyle to a healthier one that lowers your carbon footprint, this is a good way to start; always remember to buy ingredients from local producers, such as Don Zabor, which you can even find near you at any Walmart, Superama, Bodega Aurrera, H-E-B, laComer, CityClub and Alsuper