We are already in the best season of the year! From these months we begin a small but interesting journey through the best Mexican recipes. The road to the end of the year is here and with it comes the craving for dead bread.
This delicious delicacy has its origin since the arrival of the Spaniards in our country, a little before, when in the sacrifices that were made to the gods, the heart was used as an offering, so the conquerors changed tradition for something a little nicer, a wheat bread with sugar.
Over time, the technique and flavors were perfected, and bread of the dead stuffed, with milk paste, cajeta or chocolate, is even prepared. The truth is that as Mexicans, we create interesting combinations to make what already tastes good, even better.
And for this, if you want to stay at home and prepare this delicious traditional bread yourself and use it in your offering on the Day of the Dead (or on any date of the year). We want to share this particular bread of the dead recipe that will make everyone at home fall in love.
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 5 cups of powdered flour
- ½ cup of milk
- 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of yeast
- 1 teaspoon of anise seeds
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- In a small bowl, dissolve the tablespoon of yeast with one tablespoon of sugar in a cup of water. Stir well until mixture is smooth. We let it rest to ferment.
- Now, prepare a large bowl and add the flour, a tablespoon of salt, anise seeds, sugar and cinnamon powder. Move and stir the ingredients well.
- In the same container, take the mixture towards the edges to leave a hole in the middle, where we will introduce the eggs, milk and melted butter. At the end we add the fermented yeast.
- Using a wooden shovel, start mixing all the ingredients and then knead with your hands to get a better consistency. Leave it in the same large refractory to rest for about 1 hour, put a lid or plastic on top.
- Remove from the bowl and knead again, you will notice that it will be ready when you stretch the dough and it will not break easily. Cut the dough into several pieces with a knife or a special bread cutter.
- Knead again and form the loaves, leaving a piece for decoration.
- Make band-aids to put the lines of the bread and a small ball for the tip. Cover them and let them rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180º C and put the loaves in for a period of 45 minutes. Check that they get a little brown and they will be ready.
- Carefully remove them from the oven and brush them with butter, and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon on top. We have finished our recipe for bread of the dead!
Wow, that takes time! But the result is what is most worthwhile, that you can presume that you know how to make homemade pan de muerto. Try it!
And don't forget to take a look at our site to see the wide variety of Don Zabor products.